Your choices shape your reality
Does anyone remember in art class back in our young and carefree days being given the task to draw without any intent except to create a bunch of lines and movement on a blank piece of paper? Once the paper was no longer blank we then had to create an image out of all the chaotic lines, something that was of known and discernible form. My pictures usually turned into animals or squiggly hearts. Most times the result of this project usually lead to a pleasantly surprised reward of the ability we have to make something out of the chaos, and appreciate that which we have created.
Since we are no longer working with a simple piece of blank paper, and are now dealing with the real chaos of life…what does it mean to shape your best life, a beautiful body, or a picture of success? I think the answer is a lot like the project in art class where you have to take some of the chaos and create a distinct purpose or form out of that chaos. The choices that we make from moment to moment are the lines that shape our reality, and as a result build the path that we are on and build the bodies we occupy.
To shape is to form, create, or embody into a more definite form. It is the outline of what is seen on the outside, maintained by what is filled within the space given on the inside. Taking a look at all the influences that shape our perception of ourselves, those influences are usually taken from those things on the outside that we see as best defining our personal inner strength, power, drive, beauty, resilience, worth, and intrinsic unique value. We are continually choosing what we need to fill ourselves with based on the desire to define these things (and more) in ourselves. The motivation to create an ultimate form of ourselves on the outside really just translates to a definition of happiness filled on the inside.
Creating and sculpting our best body is motivated by many reasons. This outside motivation is fed from images that we see through media, celebrities, magazines and sports figures. The body is usually seen as the primary indicator of achievement in this aesthetically driven world. There is nothing wrong with shaping a form of ultimate aesthetics; in fact it is very admirable if done for all the right reasons. It is up to each of us to determine those reasons. Whatever reason motivates us, it should be rooted in enduring values. If we become grounded in our values, our bodies can become timeless in their own shape and form, and look amazing at the same time!
Discipline + Dedication
Shaping a body to look its best requires discipline and dedication to living a fit and active lifestyle, it will also require a dedication to educating yourself on good nutrition that takes into consideration the whole picture of health. If you are seeking a new shape, and want to recreate the picture of your health, here is a list of a few ways to get started with the creation of a timeless body:
How to get started creating a timeless body:
- Commit to your health by visualizing yourself already living as the person you wish to be. See yourself as the fit, strong, energetic, successful person you are striving to be. Studies show that by embodying the person you wish to be you will eventually transform those characteristics into your reality. Draw a new self portrait!!!
- Turn your biggest baddest goals and desires into realistic action steps. Write down what it is you want and whisper those 3 most important words everyone wants to hear, “Just do it”….thanks a lot Nike!
- Incorporate cardio and weight training into your regular workout routine 3-5 days a week.
- Hydrate! Drink half your body weight in ounces everyday, more if you are active. Have you ever watched a plant instantly perk up after giving it much needed water when it is looking wilty and sad?…our bodies mirror a similar response when we water our souls.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes Super foods. My favorite Super food lately is the Goji berry. Goji berries have one of the highest amino acid profiles above any food out there, just ¼ cup contains 19 amino acids, and 21 trace minerals. I haven’t forgotten about the classic Super food, the leafy green king – Kale. Kale is rich in iron, and many other vitamins and minerals.
- Sleep, rest and repeat as needed! Sounds easy, but this is the most overlooked area of health.
- Get regular massages, think of it as ironing out your body and resetting your energy back to a clear functioning state.
A new shape drawn from principles of true health and fitness
Take a look at how each of these areas plays a part in the bigger picture of your being. Commit to incorporating these simple steps as a starting point towards better health. Where can you expand or grow into a more complete picture of health and fitness? Draw up a plan now!
Now that you have a basic idea of how to take a few active steps in your overall health go ahead and make the choice to shape your life shape today. Get excited about creating a body that is fit and healthy. Recreate and draw the lines around the many forms and images of happiness, drawn by the principles of true health and fitness. Find success in your dedication to making positive choices that will lead you forming an image of happiness that is created from the inside out.
If you are feeling really brave, grab a piece of blank paper and attempt the art class project again…see what kind of picture you are capable of creating!